Trimix is an injectable medication prepared of three different medications: papaverine, prostaglandin, and phentolamine.
When is Trimix used?
Trimix is used as a treatment for erectile dysfunction. Trimix dosages vary depending on each client’s individual needs, and in some cases, a fourth medication is prescribed for clients who need a more powerful compound called atropine. When atropine is included, the combination of the 4 medications is commonly called Quad mix.
Is Trimix safe to use?
Yes, Trimix is safe to use. Injectables for the treatment of erectile dysfunction were first developed in 1983, and since then, researchers have determined that Trimix appears to be safe and effective. Trimix should not be used by men who are allergic to any of its components, have a condition that predisposes to priapism (prolonged erection), have an anatomical deformity of the penis, or are taking any medications that interfere with blood clotting.
How does it work?
Trimix is injected directly into the shaft of the penis. It causes the blood vessels in the penis to dilate, increasing blood flow to the area, resulting in an erection.
How long does it last?
The effectiveness and duration of Trimix vary from person to person. Generally, it takes effect in around five minutes and can last anywhere from one to two hours, but erections can last longer.
Trimix vs. Oral ED Medications
Oral erectile dysfunction medications don’t work for everyone, and some people can’t take them for health reasons. Trimix commonly works for individuals who can’t take oral ED medications or for whom those medications are ineffective.
Do the injections hurt?
Most users report minimal pain or discomfort when using Trimix injections. Proper injection techniques can minimize pain and side effects.
Trimix side effects
Because it is administered locally, the side effects of Trimix are minimal. There may be some irritation at the injection site. Priapism is the most common side effect; if Trimix’s effects do not wear off after three hours, you should seek medical attention immediately.
What is the right dose of Trimix?
The “right” dose of Trimix varies from person to person. What works for you might not be effective for someone else. It can take time to find the right dosage, and you’ll typically start with a small dose while you and your physician work to find the right one for you.
How to use Trimix?
Below are step-by-step instructions detailing how to properly use your penile injection at home without a doctor.
- Tear open an alcohol swab and wipe the rubber top of the bottle to sterilize it.
- Peel open the syringe carefully and remove the protective cover from the needle. It is important that you do NOT contaminate the needle with anything but the rubber bottle cap.
- Push the needle through the rubber stopper, then flip the ampule (the glass container of medication) upside down. Pull on the plunger until you withdraw 1.0 cc of the medicine.
- As you continue to hold the ampule upside down, inject whatever air remains in the syringe into the ampule.
- Withdraw the fluid until there are no more air bubbles in the syringe and the correct amount of medication is in the syringe.
- Pull the needle out of the ampule and lay the syringe on the edge of a flat surface. Make sure the needle hangs over the edge to keep it from touching anything.
- Grasp the head of the penis between the index finger and thumb and gently pull the penis away from your body until the skin is taut.
- When choosing an injection site, avoid any area where a vein is clearly visible. We recommend changing injection sites from left to right as well as up and down the shaft and back again to ensure that you do not develop scar tissue at one specific site.
- Wipe the skin with an alcohol swab.
- Pick up the syringe with the other hand and position your hand like you’re about to throw a dart.
- Touch the point of the needle to the place you want to inject. (Only inject your penis while you’re sitting or standing.)
- Hold the syringe at a 90-degree angle and push lightly to penetrate the skin near the base of your penis.
- Once you’ve poked through the skin, you will feel some resistance. Push firmly forward until a distinct “give” is felt. The needle should now be in the right place (within erectile bodies). The whole length of the needle should also be up to the hub.
- Hold the syringe between your index and middle fingers and place a thumb on the plunger to inject the entire contents of the syringe. Then take the needle out of your penis.
- Immediately apply pressure to your penis with your thumb and index finger for two to three minutes using the alcohol swab. Wait until there is no bleeding.
- Place the needle in the disposal box.
If you need additional instructions concerning Trimix use or need to get general consultation for free, please contact us.